Sunday, July 5, 2015

Canning

 The leaders of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints have always taught and encouraged its members to "Be Prepared." 

Sometimes life doesn't go they way you plan and you might lose your job, get sick, etc. Being prepared gives you peace of mind during difficult times.

In an effort to head the advice of the church I started accumulating food storage some years ago, but with the doubling of my family members in a short period of time found that I needed to add to my supply. Because my sister lives close by we decided to make it a team effort. In less than four hours we canned over 200 cans. There was a lot of preparation that went into deciding how much to can, where to get it and what made sense to can ourselves or buy pre-canned, but we learned a lot and we feel a lot more prepared!





I wish I had remembered to take more pictures. I didn't get any of my sister. We checked out two canners from the cannery and at one point had all the kids helping us. It was great. (The stack of boxes belong to me. My sister had an even bigger stack.)


The General wouldn't nap and had the absolute time of his life crawling all over the garage floor. At one point he was eating pieces of oatmeal that had dropped and mixed with I don't know what on the ground. I know...no "Mother of the Year Award" for me, but he was so HAPPY!


No comments:

Post a Comment