Sunday, October 13, 2013

I'm Thirty-Five

Friday was my birthday! Hubby usually has school that night, but it just so happened his teacher canceled that class. He must have known it was my birthday. 



Hubby and I are signed up for Red Robin's birthday club so every year we get a free burger. You can use it any time within the month and because both our birthday's are in October it means we both get a free meal and just pay for the kids. (We do tip as if we paid for the meal though so our server doesn't hate us.)





I got some really fun gifts. My mother in law made me a really nice card and Halloween doily, I got a lot of fun art supplies and bicycle themed gifts from my parents, and Lizard bought me a pair a fancy earrings. Hubby got me a DVD to help me improve my watercolor skills which I would like to do. My sister gave me a cute necklace with a charm in the shape of California...so cute. I miss California.


I debated having hubby pick up a cake so I didn't have to make one, but I just couldn't justify the cost. I had been wanting to try making a hummingbird cake for a while so I figured now would be the perfect time. It's a Southern Favorite (they say) and is a banana pineapple cake with cream cheese frosting. I did a six inch four layer cake and put coconut in between each layer in addition to sprinkling it on the outside. It turned out good, but I used fresh pineapple because I didn't have any canned. That would normally be a good thing, but fresh pineapple makes everything I eat taste bitter and makes my tongue tingle...weird, I know...but I was hoping the cooking of the cake would lesson the effect. Unfortunately, it didn't so the cake tasted a little funky to me. I can eat canned pineapple no problem and I used to be able to eat fresh pineapple too, but not anymore. It's so good too!! On the bright side hubby doesn't like bananas, but he loved the cake.

1 comment:

  1. That cake looks heavenly!!! I'm glad you had such a fun birthday! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete