Sunday, February 15, 2015

Happy Valentine's Day

Hubby and I have never really been that into Valentine's Day. Those who knew me in college (who probably don't look at my blog) will tell you that I was outright against what I perceived as commercial holiday that made a bunch of people feel bad. I also really disliked hearts, like A LOT...What!? I thought they were annoyingly cute. It was a different time.
Fast forward to 2015 and hearts are okay now, but Valentine's Day still isn't a big deal to me. So, when I saw that the Sister Missionaries in my ward didn't have anyone signed up to feed them dinner on Valentine's Day I decided to sign up. That was last Sunday and by Tuesday I got to thinking that I might as well make it a party and invite some friends over.
It made for a hectic Saturday trying to get ready for my guests, but dare I say it, "Best Valentine's Day Ever!"



Lizard made the hearts and taped them up. She did such a good job!


 I wasn't able to get a picture of the food before people started eating because I finished right as they arrived. The photos aren't great, but the meal consisted of chicken salad (chicken, apples, cranberries and cashews) sandwiches on Hawaiian rolls, pita chips with hot spinach and artichoke dip, cucumbers and carrots, and strawberries and pineapple with fruit dip. For the less adventurous eaters (mainly my children) there were some plain rolls. Oh, and Cherry 7Up because it's pink.


Dessert consisted of chocolate truffles, white chocolate caramel pecan bites, Neapolitan trifle (three flavors of pound cake made from scratch - chocolate cake, ganache, vanilla cake, cream cheese frosting, strawberry cake, cream cheese frosting), and chocolate chewy cookies (my favorite chocolate cookie recipe).


My guests. Starting from the left...Janis, Sister Juneau (she's from Switzerland, speaks French, has an Italian mother and has only been speaking English for three months), Sister Watford from England, Katt, Lily (Janis' granddaughter) and Lizard.  Katt served her mission in Japan like me and is doing the peace sign because that's what everyone in Japan does when they get their picture taken.


Hubby and our other guest Tom. He is our neighbor down the street and recently moved from California. His wife passed away a little over a year ago. We've had him over a few times so he made himself at home. ;)


I didn't get a picture of myself and was wearing red for the occasion so here I am. The Chief and Little Bird managed to stay hidden from the camera.


No comments:

Post a Comment