Sunday, January 27, 2013

What's Your Therapy Of Choice?

The other day I was sitting with The Chief and started to feel very sad. It bothered me that I was feeling sad because I didn't think I had a reason to be sad (if you don't count the fact that it's freezing cold and gloomy, there has been at least one person sick in my family at any given moment for the past two months straight, and I'm not in California anymore). 

"What is the cause of this sudden sadness," I thought, and then it hit me. I hadn't sewed anything for almost nine months. It was time for a project or two...or three....or...

*As a side note, I did not neglect my family, I just didn't sleep much.


My first attempt at a stuffed animal. I found a free pattern for a whale, but it would have been flat so I altered it to have a back and a stomach. I thought he turned out pretty cute.





I bought this skirt at Goodwill for $3.50 and turned it into a lace pencil skirt using some clearance fabric. $5.50 total and a few stitches later I had the lace skirt I had been wanting. My pattern was tracing over a skirt I already had.







I also bought this sweater for $3.50 at Goodwill and turned it into a knit skirt for Lizard. Re-purposing is so much fun.







 I didn't have to alter this pattern. I had bought this fabric because it was cheap and I liked it. It was just waiting to be turned into a Scotty dog.






This is my first doll. I made it for a one year old's birthday present. I couldn't find a free pattern that I liked online so I made up my own. I looked at a ton of different dolls and chose the parts I liked best from a bunch of them. It's not perfect, but it takes practice right? I'm having fun learning.






This is my second doll and I'm starting to figure things out. I have four more dolls planned out and I'll post them when they're done. Looking at them is voluntary. ;) This is all fabric I have on hand and need to use so it's great.





2 comments:

  1. wow, I love all of your fun projects, can't believe you made your own patterns. Lizzy's skirt from a sweater-- is fabulous-- knits are so hard to work with, you really did a great job. Hey, many years ago (late 70's) dad made up some really cool patterns, a dog, an elephant, and a saddle. When I'm home (SLC) I'll try and dig them out and send them to you.
    Love you all-- Mom N.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love those projects! Good job! It's hard to be away from family in the winter. Do you skype? That might help a little. It's snowing cats and dogs here.

    ReplyDelete