Tuesday, February 19, 2013

A Great Time of Year to Use the Oven

Well, it's still cold here. We did have a heat wave and hit the 40's, but that was short lived. Don't get me wrong, I am very grateful for the warmer days and look forward to more, but until they're here to stay, I will be baking. 



Chocolate Covered Macaroon
Hubby and I both LOVE coconut. I could have eaten ten of these...at least.


S'mores Cheesecake



King Cake

I have a friend out here from Louisiana and she told me about king cakes during Mardigras. It's a brioche type dough that you can fill with a cinnamon or fruit filling. I filled it with cream cheese, cinnamon and brown sugar. It's a little like a giant cinnamon roll. You bake it and then hide a little plastic baby inside. Whomever finds the baby gets good luck for a year and has to make the cake next year. Fun! I decided to make one for her family and one for mine, but I used a bean instead of a baby. Lizard accidentally ate our bean and my friend found the bean in her cake. The colored sprinkles stand for something (I can't remember what) and the blue sprinkles should have been purple but I didn't have any purple. I thought it was a yummy dessert and will definitely make it again.




 I had leftover caramel from the truffles I made and wanted to put it to good use. It was a little too sticky and sweet to be ice cream topping so I made a chocolate cake with whipped chocolate ganache frosting and caramel in the middle and a shortbread brownie with caramel in between and a sour cream ganache frosting. Thank goodness for freezers and neighbors who will eat my treats, otherwise I would polish them all off myself.



I made these truffles for hubby's Valentine's Day gift. I found the idea on Pinterest and tweaked it a little. Hubby's favorite cookie are those pink and white circus animals. By grinding them up and turning them into a truffle it makes them "fancy." 


No comments:

Post a Comment